Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 3: May 8th-10th
This weeks main discussion in class was Diversities in Families. I have always known that every family is different, and there is really no way that two different families can be the same. Diversity in families can come because of many situations; there are single-parent families, different ethnic families such as Hispanic, Asian, African-American, there are interracial families, and families with same-sex parents.
I loved learning about how different cultures and backgrounds raise children and interact with each other.
I have seen many articles on line whether or not same sex parents are worse off for children than children in a traditional family setting. I personally believe and know that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that every child has the right to be born into that family. But I don't like to pass bad judgement, I feel that anyone can be a good parent. But there are some situations with adopted children to same sex parents that bothers me. I heard of one story where a same sex couple adopted a boy as a little child, and gave him estrogen pills so that when he was older he could choose whether he wanted to be a boy or a girl. To me this is wrong on so many levels, and a reason why same sex couples shouldn't receive priority on adoption over traditional families.

No comments:

Post a Comment